Consumer Protection, Foreclosure Defense, Civil Litigation, and Business Lawyer
Andy Gerling is a partner at Kohl & Cook Law Firm, LLC. He is a seasoned litigator and an AV Preeminent rated lawyer, ranked at the highest level of professional excellence for his legal expertise, communication skills, and ethical standards by his peers. Andy has consistently been recognized as a Super Lawyer and as one of the “Three Best Rated” consumer lawyers in Columbus, Ohio. Andy represents individuals and businesses throughout Ohio at both the trial and appellate levels.
Andy has a robust consumer protection practice ranging from representing homeowners facing foreclosure to representing individuals against companies that run afoul of Ohio’s consumer protection laws. He has experience representing consumers in matters involving the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, the Truth in Lending Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Ohio’s Consumer Sales Practices Act and other highly technical consumer protection laws.
Andy’s business litigation practice includes representing companies facing disputes ranging from breach of contract to fraud. His non-litigation practice includes business formation, contract review, compliance with consumer laws, purchase/sale agreements, vendor licensing and more.
Andy graduated from Otterbein University Summa Cum Laude receiving his BA with departmental honors in political science. He received his law degree from Capital University with distinction as a member of the Order of the Curia. Andy authored a book on foreclosure defense and regularly speaks on consumer protection and foreclosure laws, including training other local attorneys in foreclosure defense and mortgage servicing errors.
Prior to joining Kohl & Cook Law Firm, LLC Andy was an owner and partner at another local Columbus, Ohio civil litigation law firm. He oversaw that firm’s litigation and business practices, managing multiple lawyers while maintaining his own practice. Having previously worked with founding partners Tim Cook and Sean Kohl, Andy fully subscribes to the firm’s philosophy of providing objective-based, personalized, and vigorous representation to individuals, consumers, and small businesses.
Andy lives with his wife, Chelse, and two sons, Griffin and Rustin, in Worthington, Ohio.
- Foreclosure Defense
- Business Litigation
- Small Business Formation
- Business Counsel
- Consumer Protection
Education, Awards & Honors
- Otterbein College, BA in Political Science, 2005, Summa Cum Laude
- Capital University Law School, JD 2011, Order of the Curia
- AV Preeminent Rated, Martindale Hubbell, 2018-present
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2017-2021
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2022-present
- Top Three Consumer Protection Lawyers, Columbus, Ohio, ThreeBestRated.com
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Foreclosure A to Z, a CLE for Judgments and Staff Attorneys
- Top 10 Foreclosure Mistakes Experience Mortgage Servicers Make, NBI
- 27 Legal Defense to Foreclosure, Co-Author, 2nd Edition 2021
- ABC Six Ask the Attorney
- State of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- Central Ohio Association for Justice
- Ohio Association for Justice
- Franklin County Democratic Lawyers Club
- Ohio State Bar Association